Last Updated: July 15, 2022. Report error / Make suggestion

Note that for some programs, if you receive one you are not eligible for others. In addition, your immigration status may impact your eligibility for certain benefits. You also may not receive these benefits if you have violated your probation or parole. You can find more detailed information about your benefit eligibility by calling 211 or visiting Washington Connection’s website.

Statewide Government Assistance Services

Social Security and Supplemental Security Income Benefits

710 East College Way, Mount Vernon WA 98273

An individual released from incarceration may be eligible for Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability benefits if they have worked or paid into Social Security enough years. An individual released from incarceration may be eligible for Supplemental Security Income benefits if they are 65 or older, are blind, or have a disability and have little or no income and resources.

“What Prisoners need to know”

“Entering the Community After Incarceration – How We Can Help”

DSHS Community Service Office

900 E. College Way, Mount Vernon WA 98273

Offers cash assistance (in addition to other general services).

Paper Application: Before 3pm, complete your interview for cash or food (application/eligibility review/mid-certification review). You may complete an online application or apply by contacting the Customer Service Contact Center at 877-501-2233.

To mail in your application, send to:

DSHS – CSD Customer Service Center
PO Box 11699
Tacoma, WA 98411-6699.

TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)

Apply online
Apply in-person at your local Community Service Office

Provides temporary cash for families in need for up to 60 months. Some families participate in the WorkFirst Program. The WorkFirst Program helps participants find and keep jobs. To apply in-person, go to your local Community Service Office listed above. To apply online, please go to

Eligibility: Washington state resident responsible for care of a child or are pregnant, plus income/resources requirements, citizenship, and immigration status requirements. If you are ineligible for TANP, you may still be eligible to receive aid from Washington State’s Family Assistance (SFA) Program.

Basic Food/SNAP

Apply online

Helps low-income people make ends meet by providing monthly food benefits

Review SNAP Eligibility

ABD (Aged Blind Disabled)

Apply online
Apply in-person at your local Community Service Office

A state funded program that provides cash assistance and a referral to the Housing and Essential Needs (HEN) program to eligible low-income individuals who are age 65 or older, blind, or determined likely to meet Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability criteria based on an impairment(s) expected to last at least 12 consecutive months. Provides maximum monthly cash grant of $197 for a single individual or $248 for a married couple.

Diversion Cash Assistance

Apply online
Apply in-person at your local Community Service Office

Provides alternative assistance for families who have a short term need and do not wish to receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) assistance.

Additional info:

  • You are eligible for only one thirty-day period per year.
  • The maximum benefit is $1,250.
  • You must repay a prorated portion of the grant if you go on TANF before one year
  • You will not use any of your sixty-month lifetime limit for TANF benefits

CEAP (Consolidated Emergency Assistance Program)

Apply online

A cash program available to families or pregnant women who face an emergency and do not have the money to meet their basic needs for up to 30 consecutive days, once a year. This includes families whose Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash assistance has been terminated for Non-Compliance Sanction (NCS) and those who have already received 60 months of TANF and do not qualify for a Time Limit Extension.

Unemployment Insurance

Apply online
Apply via phone: call 800-318-6022

Unemployment benefits are cash benefits you can receive while you are looking for a job. They are made available through taxes paid by your former employer while you were working. You cannot apply for unemployment benefits in Washington if you did not work in this state in the past 18 months. Benefits are not based on financial need.

Kitsap Government Assistance Services

Department of Social and Human Services (DSHS) Community Services Office (CSO)

4710 Auto Center Blvd. Bremerton, WA 98312
Local: 360-473-2200. Main: 877-501-2233

Programs include food stamps, medical programs, employment support, and cash assistance (ABD, TANF, HEN). Apply online, over the phone, or in person.

DSHS, Adult Protective Services

Phone: 877-734-6277. Fax: 360-664-9103

Investigates allegations of abuse, neglect, abandonment, and financial exploitation of vulnerable persons over the age of 60 and individuals 18 and over with disabilities. Call to make a report (if the person is in immediate danger call 911).

DSHS, Aging & Long Term Support Administration (ALTSA)

1026 Sidney Avenue, Port Orchard 98366

A free information and referral service for adults 60 and over and for family and friends helping care for the older adult

DSHS, Division of Children and Family Services (DCFS)

3423 6th Street, Suite 217, Bremerton, WA 98312
Reception: 360-475-3501. Toll Free Reception: 800-423-6246. Toll Free Intake: 888-713-6115. After Hours: 800-562-5624

If a child is in immediate danger call 911.

Investigates allegations of abuse and neglect for children under 18, intake point for requesting services, information and referral, foster care, family preservation services.

DSHS, Developmental Disabilities Administration (DDA)

3423 6th Street, Bremerton, WA 98312

Intake, information and referral, case management, residential and employment supports, eligibility assessments for personal care services.

DSHS, Employment Pipeline


Assists with referral to work and training opportunities, pre and post employment support services, and referral to other DSHS programs.

DSHS, Home and Community Services (HCS)

4710 Auto Center Blvd. Bremerton, WA 98312

Provides long-term care services for persons with disabilities and the elderly who may need state funds to help pay for them (including placement in residential programs and caregiving services).

DSHS, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

3888 NW Randall Way Suite 201 Silverdale, WA 98383

Vocational rehabilitation services designed to help individuals with disabilities prepare for, get, keep, or advance in a job. Can help navigate finding employment with a criminal record.

DSHS, Working Connections Childcare

4710 Auto Center Blvd., Bremerton, WA 98312

Childcare subsidies for working families. Referral to childcare and early head start.

Social Security Administration

9594 Mickelberry Rd NW, Silverdale, WA 98383

Financial assistance to those with disabilities (SSI and SSDI).

“What Prisoners Need to Know” by the Social Security Administration.

More Government Assistance & Financial Support Guides

Governmental Programs

Lists of the numerous government programs that can help you with most needs including food, housing, cash assistance, and more.


Debt & Finances

Organizations to help with credit, financial assistance, and financial education