Last Updated: May 23, 2024. Report error / Make suggestion

General Housing Resources

Housing Search Engines

Statewide Housing Resources

Housing and Essential Needs (HEN), DSHS

Provides access to essential needs items and potential rental assistance for low-income individuals who are unable to work for at least 90 days due to a physical and/or mental incapacity and are ineligible for Aged, Blind, or Disabled (ABD) cash assistance. Apply at DSHS either online, over the phone, or in person.

Northwest Justice Project Housing Resoures

The Northwest Justice Project provides free legal assistance to address fundamental housing needs including housing. Specifically, it provides information in several languages on what you need to know before buying a house/apartment, including your rights as a home buyer, and information on mortgages and property taxes.

Oxford Houses

Search all vacancies (select “WA” in “State” filter)
Hotline: 360-850-1056

Operates self-run, self-supported recovery houses nationally and across Washington State.

Kitsap Housing Resources

Agapé Unlimited

4841 Auto Center Way, Suite 101 Bremerton, WA 98312

Operates two sober living housing programs. Koinonia Inn is a transitional housing program for pregnant or parenting women who are at risk due to a substance use disorder. Sisyphus II is a permanent housing program for individuals and families that are homeless, disabled, and have a substance use disorder. For more information contact the housing case manager at 360.373.1529.

Bremerton Housing Authority

600 Park Avenue, Bremerton, WA 98337

Operates Section 8 voucher program and public housing for those who are income eligible. Call for current waitlist information.

Background check request is sent to the Washington State Patrol. Fingerprints are taken if needed for WSP to run background check through FBI.

Housing Kitsap

2244 NW Bucklin Hill Road, Silverdale, WA 98383
360-535-6100, 800-693-7070

Subsidized housing for seniors, families, and individuals with disabilities. List of properties and applications available online. Also offers free home repair services to financially eligible Kitsap homeowners and home-building program for low-income prospective homeowners. Applications available online.

Housing Solutions Center

Kitsap Community Resources

Offers services to Kitsap County residents who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. Individuals are connected to housing resources throughout the county, including emergency shelter, rental & deposit assistance, and/or landlord referral. Can refer to local landlords willing to work with individuals with credit, income, eviction, and criminal justice involvement. Call to schedule an appointment (walk-ins accepted at the Bremerton location).

Hope Homes, The Coffee Oasis

Office: 360-479-5123, Cell: 360-204-6929

Operates supportive and host home housing programs for young adults, 13-25.

All Coffee Oasis housing is sober. Other restrictions vary by location.

Port Gamble Housing Authority

31912 Little Boston Road NE Kingston, Washington 98346

Services available to tribal members include rental housing for families, elders, and single persons, home ownership opportunities with a Lease to Own program, rental assistance programs for off-reservation rentals, Section 184 Home Buyer Assistance services, financial credit, energy conservation, and maintenance education services, and BIA home improvement program.

West Sound Treatment

Multiple locations. 360-876-9430

Operates recovery housing with options. Applications available online.

Standard Washington State Patrol background checks. Sex offenses and arson are an automatic disqualification for housing. Everything else will be looked at on a case by case basis.

Pierce Housing Resources

Extensive spreadsheet of housing options throughout Pierce County.

Public Housing Authority (PHA) Pierce County

1525 108th St S Tacoma, WA 98444

Public Housing Authorities operate federal housing programs such as the housing choice (section 8) voucher and the public housing programs. Also offers Ready to Rent classes that teach tenants how to be good renters, what their rights are, and how to remove or work around barriers like evictions or criminal history.

Public Housing Authority (PHA) City of Tacoma

902 S L St, Tacoma, WA 98405

For residents living in the city limits of Tacoma

Coordinated Entry (CE)

Multiple Locations

Coordinated Entry is the first step in ending homelessness. Coordinated Entry is available on demand in three different ways:

  • Call 2-1-1 for live support or to schedule an appointment
  • Speak to a Mobile Outreach team: Since these teams generally only work with people who are living outdoors, the screening function in this instance involves confirming that the individual is living outside (e.g. encampments), or accessing services (e.g. Healthcare for the Homeless, Family Support Centers)
  • Drop-in to one of the facilities for a same-day conversation

Catholic Community Services (CCS)

Multiple Locations. 253-383-3697

Owns a large number of housing units including shelters and transitional and permanent housing for low-income individuals in Western Washington. CCS’s Pierce County location is at the Tahoma Family Center, housed in the renovated St. Leo High School Building in the heart of Tacoma’s Hilltop Neighborhood.

New Connections

Multiple Locations.

New Connections provides two safe, supportive, clean and sober shelters for women recently released from correctional facilities. Women are provided with housing, emergency services, intensive case management, advocacy, and re-entry support for up to three months.

Pioneer Human Services (PHS)

Multiple locations.

Pioneer Human Services is a permanent housing unit, which serves low-income individuals, couples, and families. Formerly incarcerated people are welcome to apply for residency. There is a requirement of 30% of your income or zero with no income. For additional service information, such as counseling/treatment, please go to their website provided below. PHS does not accept reusable tenant screening reports.

Homeownership Center Northwest

1424 S J St Tacoma WA 98405

We provide support to our clients in navigating the complicated world of purchasing their first home. HCNW is in the unique position of providing a bridge that advocates on clients’ behalf, satisfying current mortgage lending practices while demonstrating responsible leverage of government and private funding. See website for eligibility information.

Tacoma/Pierce County Affordable Housing Consortium (Informational only)

621 Tacoma Ave S, Unit #313, Tacoma, WA 98402

Provides community education and advocacy to represent its members in expanding opportunities for nonprofit corporations and others to finance, produce, and manage housing for low-income people. Hosts informational events such as “Landlord Tenant Mediation: how to settle a dispute with a landlord.”

Transitional Housing

New Connections – Irma’s Place

613 S 15th St Tacoma WA 98405

Provides a supportive, clean and sober shelter for women recently released from correctional facilities in Washington state for up to six months.

Shared Housing in Tacoma (4 DOC Certified Houses)

901 S 11th St Tacoma WA 98405

The program matches home seekers in need of affordable housing with home providers who are willing to provide a private bedroom in their homes in exchange for rent and/or assistance. Primarily focus on serving the elderly, disabled and those with very low income. Case managers interview and screen all applicants for compatibility of lifestyles and personalities, and the reciprocal needs of home providers and seekers. In addition, references are contacted and criminal background checks are performed. When we cannot match applicants we attempt to meet housing needs in one of our other programs or through a combination of resources and referrals.

The House of Matthew Transitional Services

1127 Broadway Suite #10 Tacoma WA 98402

They offer in-house services for confidential and structured living while seeking full recovery from a prison/jail facility. They accept those needing community supervision upon release from prison, they work closely with probation officers and homeless shelters. They also accept referrals into their program. In order to be considered each applicant must be in good standing with probation offers, and complete an intake interview. Residents must be 18 or older, recently released from incarceration, and/or at-risk of being homeless .

St John Mission Baptist Church – Jericho House

2001 South J St Tacoma, WA 98405

A ministry to men who are displaced through incarceration, unemployment, lack of education, mental health issues, and drug and alcohol issues. Providing temporary employment, housing for men who are working to gain employment and re-establish themselves in the community. Program may provide 1-6 months of housing and/or utility co-payments.

Fresh Start Housing

5231 S Warner St Tacoma WA 98409
602 108th St Tacoma WA 98444
10415 – 10423 Golden Given Rd Tacoma WA 98445

To provide a clean, safe and alcohol/drug-free environment for those who need or desire it. We provide weekly counseling, encouragement and resources in an effort to prepare our residents for the next positive phase of their life.

Exodus Housing

PO Box 1006 Sumner WA 98390

Must be referred through Coordinated Entry. Family Service Specialists help families by quickly moving them from homelessness to permanent housing by providing them with access to fair market rent units rented by private landlords. Families have input about the geographical area where they want to live, though we also give them resources for housing with landlords we currently have connections with. Exodus pays for all the move-in costs to include first/last month’s rent, deposits, application fees, and utility deposits.

Tacoma Catholic Worker

1417 S G St Tacoma WA 98405

Guadalupe House is a clean and sober transitional housing for single adults experiencing homelessness, and who want to pursue goals that will lead them to stable housing and jobs. Acceptance is on an interview and invitation basis.

Helping Hand House and Open Hearth Ministries

4321 2nd St SW Puyallup WA 98373
Please contact Coordinated Entry for referral; Administrative #: 253-848-6096

Must be referred through Coordinated Entry. Provides temporary housing for homeless families with children. Families stay in a furnished home and receive intensive case management and other program referrals for up to 30 days in one of eight agency-owned or donated homes. During their stay, HHH helps the family work to secure permanent housing through HHH’s Rapid Rehousing Program and provides referrals to other agencies to help overcome other life obstacles. Direct Call. Limited to families with children in Puyallup/Sumner school district areas.

Lakewood Area Shelter Association (LASA) – Women Only

8956 Gravely Lake Dr SW Lakewood WA 98499

Must be referred through Coordinated Entry ,.Short-term shelter housing provides families a safe turn-key ready apartment with stays of up to 30 days. Phone, utility service and case management are provided.

New Phoebe House Association

PO Box 5245 Tacoma WA 98415

Provides housing, services, treatment, and support to Pierce County mothers and children impacted by chemical dependence, and to help them achieve and maintain reunification through healing, self-sufficiency, and clean & sober living.

Skagit Housing Resources

Housing Resource Center

Community Action of Skagit County, 330 Pacific Place, Mount Vernon WA 98273

The Housing Resource Center serves as the primary point-of-entry for the Coordinated Entry System in Skagit County. Anyone experiencing homelessness, or at imminent risk of homelessness, is encouraged to apply. They also provide a list of Affordable housing in Skagit County for those who are struggling with locating affordable housing.

Project Homeless Connect

330 Pacific Place, Mount Vernon, WA 98273

Full List of Services

Provides a single location where Health and Social Service Providers collaborate to serve individuals and familiesexperiencing homelessness or that are at-risk of becoming homelessness with comprehensive, holistic, and immediate services. PHC is open to all families and individuals looking to overcome their barriers to stable housing. In past years popular services have included: haircuts, photo ID’s, dental care, veterinary care, housing services, clothing, and wonderful lunch.

Community Action of Skagit County

330 Pacific Place, Mount Vernon WA 98273

Community Action is a private, nonprofit 501(c)(3), serving homeless and low-income families and individuals. Its programs include, among others housing, energy/utility assistance, food, clothing, shelter. For specific information on housing, go to its website below.

Public Housing Authority (PHA) Skagit County

Locations in Anacortes, Burlington, Mount Vernon, and Sedro-Wooley

Public Housing Authorities operate federal housing programs such as thehousing choice (section 8) voucherand thepublic housingprograms. Also offers Ready to Rent classes that teach tenants how to be good renters, what their rights are, and how to remove or work around barriers like evictions or criminal history.

More Housing Guides

Housing Resources

Extensive resources for finding housing as a formerly incarcerated person. Includes many specific organizations providing housing in Washington, including transitional housing.


Housing FAQ

Learn about post-release housing options, help finding and paying for housing, and your rights as a renter.f

Rent & Utility Assistance

Ways to get help with paying rent and utilities along with home weatherization, emergency repairs, and more.


Emergency Shelters

Emergency shelters, including those available during cold weather or for specific groups including youth and domestic violence survivors.