Last Updated: July 15, 2022. Report error / Make suggestion

This page is pulled from the Washington Appleseed Reentry Guide.

The process of applying for a Passport is complicated and you will need to provide a lot of supporting documentation to prove your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen. You can find more details on the application process online.

Some restrictions that may apply to you depending on your criminal history or other circumstances:

  • Felony convictions: If you have been convicted of a felony, you may apply for a U.S. Passport, but your application may be denied if you have been convicted of certain drug-related felonies or misdemeanors. For instance, federal law disqualifies convicted international drug traffickers from obtaining a Passport during their incarceration and subsequent parole or community supervision. Additionally, if you already have a Passport and are convicted of one of these crimes, your existing Passport may be revoked.
  • Unpaid child support: If you owe more than $2,500 in unpaid child support, you will not be eligible for a Passport. You will become eligible again when you pay down your child support debt.
  • Travel restrictions: The State Department may deny your application for a Passport if you are barred from leaving the United States, either by court order or a condition of your probation or parole.

The information on this website is not legal advice. You should not and are not authorized to rely on this website as a source of legal advice. While Civil Survival goes to great lengths to make sure the information on the website is accurate, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information and are not responsible for any consequences that may result from the use of this website. We recommend that you consult with an attorney for assurance that the information on the website and your interpretation of it are appropriate for your situation.

More Identification Guides

Driver’s Licenses Guide

Getting a driver’s license can be a critical step toward being able to get to a job, run errands, and travel.

Washington State ID Cards

A Washington State ID card is a card issued by the Department of Licensing (DOL) that serves as proof of identity. A state ID card does not authorize you to drive a car.

Social Security Cards

You will need your Social Security number to get a job, collect Social Security benefits, and access government services, but if you know the number, you do not need to show your Social Security card very often.

Birth Certificate

A birth certificate can usually help you prove your age and citizenship (if you were born in the United States), and is very useful when you are trying to get a state-issued photo ID.

U.S. Passport

Passports allow you to travel internationally. Some impacts of incarceration may impact your ability to get or use a passport.